leahcim: sheep technologies
Leahcim is one of the most measured sheep flocks in the world and uses the most advanced technologies of any flock in the world. The transparency that it give to any person using our genetics with the digital world we live in is very important and very rewarding.
- DNA profiling: TSU skin samples are taken by a punch from the ear and retained in a sealed bottle.
- Genomics: From a TSU sample we can map the genes of our sheep from 6.5 weeks of age to maximize breeding and selection decisions.
- Jivet: Juvenile (6.5 weeks) embryo transfer is where unfertilized eggs are harvested from our best ewe lamb genetics and fertilized in the test tube and transferred into surrogate mothers.
- Electronic ear tags: Shearwell tags
- Embryo Transfer: ET is used on the top identified ewes twelve months or older to create the starting platform to conduct a series of Jivet programs.
- Artificial Insemination: Conducted every year to maximize the use of our best and youngest genetics.
- Pregnancy testing: Maximize data accuracies and management of multiple progeny and identify animals capable of increasing (NLW) number of lambs weaned.
- Body weight recording: The most important weights are recorded at 100 days Weaning; 200days Post Weaning; 350 days Yearling.
- Muscle and Fat scanning: Conducted by an accredited assessor and measured at 200 days.
- Hip wool testing: All twelve month old poll Merino sheep are wool tested from a hip sample to get accurate raw data information to build our ASBV’s
- Fleece weights: Wool weight are taken from twelve months onwards and added to Sheep Genetics data to create an accurate fleece weight ASBV.
- Skin testing: Skin biopsy to identify the best skin structured sheep
- Matesel: A computer program to maximize genetic gain within our mating program using the Sheep Genetics data information as a guide.
- Sapien data program: Our sheep data base computer program partner.
- Gallagher weigh crate and auto draft used for sheep management.
Leahcim is the only sheep flock in the world that uses such advanced technologies to create the most transparent and productive genetics for our clients throughout the world.